Data Repositories and Archives
Depositing your data in an archive will facilitate its discovery and preservation. This page is intended highlights select repositories and archives across the disciplines and is focused on those that accept deposits from researchers.
National Space Science Data Center (http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nssdc/submitting_data.html). “Space Science” includes astronomy and astrophysics, solar and space plasma physics, and planetary and lunar science.
The Cell: An Image Library (http://cellimagelibrary.org/pages/contribute) - Images of all cell types from all organisms, including intracellular structures and animations demonstrating functions. This project relies upon the cell biology community to populate the library.
The National Center for Biotechnology Information's repository of bioassy data and information for small molecules (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/). Text-based and structure-based search tools are provided.
Center for Applied Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA) (http://www.caida.org/data/) - Archive of data for scientific analysis of network functions.
Environmental and Geosciences
National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) (http://nsidc.org/data/submit.html) - Cryospheric datasets from ground field research and satellites.
GIS and Geography
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) (http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/General/NODC-Submit/) maintains an archive of national and international marine environmental and ecosystem datasets.
Health and Medical Sciences
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/guide/all/#Submissions) - Numerous databases with a genomic/proteomic focus.
- Health and Medical Care Archive (http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/HMCA/about.jsp) - preserves and disseminates data collected by research projects funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the largest philanthropy devoted exclusively to health and health care in the United States.
Life and Biological Sciences
- Dryad (http://www.datadryad.org/depositing) - Evolutionary biology and ecology datasets used as the foundation for research publications.
- Protein DataBank (http://www.pdb.org/pdb/home/home.do) - Experimentally determined structures for macromolecules (protein and nucleic acids).
- Association of Religion Data Archives (http://www.thearda.com/about/) - Coverage includes international surveys, U.S. church membership data, and U.S. Surveys.
- ICPSR, the Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/landing.jsp;jsessionid=1CD1FD210173689EC2B052B224393DDE) – More than 500,000 research files specializing in education, aging, terrorism, political science and substance abuse.
- National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/NACJD/index.jsp) - Includes 700 data collections relating to criminal justice.
- Roper Center for Public Opinion Research (http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/) - Data from surveys of public opinion from the 1930s to the present.