Welcome to the Office of the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies
Exemplary Ongoing Research Projects
Every day at MSU, dedicated scientists, scholars, and students create and apply knowledge as they work to provide sustainable solutions to the world’s most pressing problems.
- Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (FRIB)
- BEACON Center for the Study of Evolution in Action
- Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center (GLBRC)
Annual Funding Highlights
Funding for externally sponsored programs comes primarily from federal agencies, state agencies, industry, associations and foundations. (Because funds for conducting research are generally awarded in multi-year contracts or grants, the amount recorded as received each year may not reflect the expenditures in that year.) Charts for 2013-14.
- $528 million in external funding in 2013-14.
- 64 percent of MSU’s external funding was federal.
- The U.S. Department of Energy and the National Science Foundation were the largest federal funders of MSU research.
Research and Business
- MSU Innovation Center brings together three key functions through three carefully integrated entities (MSU Technologies, MSU Business-CONNECT, and Spartan Innovations) along with vital student entrepreneurial activities.
- Product Center for Agriculture & Natural Resources helps Michigan entrepreneurs develop and commercialize high-value, consumer-responsive products and businesses in the agriculture, natural resources, and bioeconomy sectors.
- MSU Bioeconomy Institute in Holland, Mich., provides chemical pilot plant scale-up production and conducts sponsored research and testing for both for-profit and not-for-profit entities of all sizes.
- MBI is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Michigan State University Foundation that focuses on developing and commercializing sustainable bio-based technologies. MBI collaborates with MSU researchers through the BioEconomy Network .
- Events & Training