Special Consulting Services
Special consulting services have been developed in order to assist MSU researchers with proposal preparation support. These services complement those offered by Research Facilitation & Dissemination and drill down into more specialized areas by funding entity such as NIH and NSF. (See "NIH Grant Submission Assistance Initiative - Cycle I and Cycle II 2017"). Our grant consultants have worked with institutions across the country and have developed a set of best practices which they follow and share with MSU researchers.
- Proposal consulting
- First draft review (with comments)
- Structure of your proposal
- Grant editing
- Exploring funding
- Peer-review coordination
- Seminars and webinars
- Grant hot seat sessions (one day critique sessions with fellow MSU researchers applying to same agency)
One of the foremost problems encountered by our team is the issue of researchers asking for assistance too close to the submission deadline, limiting our team's ability to help. We recommend researchers start early, contact our office with intent, and follow the best practicies with contiguous available programs.
Our Team/Contact Us:
- Joined OVPRGS staff in January 2015
- PhD in Microbiology from the University of Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
- Graduate work with DNA sequences for tissue-specific expression of a murine leukemia virus called MCF13. Post-graduate work at the Pasteur Institute in Paris.
- Experienced science journalist and publications editor with a specialty in persuasive writing.
- Tom's full bio.
Please email Tom Hollon or call 517-432-7990 to schedule an appointment.
Heidi Smith-Parker has a doctorate in biological sciences from Columbia University and completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Texas at Austin. She has nearly a decade of experience editing manuscripts, books, and grant proposals.
She has been a grantsmanship consultant for Michigan State University since 2015, with involvement in National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Department of Defense, and Department of Energy funding opportunities for faculty. Dr. Smith-Parker is especially passionate about science outreach. Since her arrival at MSU she, has become established as the primary consultant for NSF Broader Impacts.
For any additional questions, please email the review office team.